Land development

Guides, charges and rules for big developments

We’re committed to making sure new land developments receive quality water, wastewater and, where possible, stormwater infrastructure. We also need to be sure that new buildings don’t affect our pipes. That’s why we work closely with developers and their providers as part of our development process (297KB).

Planning a big development?
If you’re planning large-scale land rezoning, a new development or a redevelopment project, call us on 13 20 92 for advice. Ask for the City, Growth & Development team.


Before you can get your Section 73 Compliance Certificate, you may have to pay:

  • developer charges
  • the cost of constructing new pipes – you generally pay for the full cost, but sometimes Sydney Water will pay.

Who pays, and other costs

The decision on who pays is based on our Funding infrastructure to service growth policy. If Sydney Water pays for any of these works, you must follow our procurement guidelines. Your water servicing coordinator can tell you more.

There may be other costs you’ll have to pay for during the land development process. These could include:

  • checking building plans 
  • connecting to our pipes, such as water main drilling costs
  • assessing water mains for fire-fighting capabilities
  • discharging trade waste
  • inspecting plumbing and drainage.

Read more about current Prices for other services. You’ll also have to pay your providers for their services. Remember, you can only use our listed providers.


About developer charges

The only developer charge you have to pay is for recycled water. Find out how this is calculated in the Rouse Hill recycled water services: Development servicing plan 2021 and the Hoxton Park recycled water services: Development servicing plan 2021.

IPART (the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal) sets the way recycled water developer charges are calculated. It includes a CPI adjustment on 1 July each year, and you must pay the charge that applies when you pay.

Recycled water charges for a development can add up to thousands of dollars. Charges depend on the size and location of the project. We’ll tell you about these charges in the Notice of Requirements letter you get from your water servicing coordinator.

Land development guide (618KB)
It’s all here: how to meet our requirements for servicing your development and receive your Section 73 Certificate through our ‘Managing New Development’ process. It details the process, related policies, forms, fees and charges. 

Rules about relocating pipes

You mustn’t start work to move, remove or replace any Sydney Water pipes until you have our approval, including temporary replacement pipes.  You need to engage a water servicing coordinator and lodge an approval application through the e-Developer system. Include a design of the proposed works and any temporary pipework. We’ll review the design and tell you what you need to do to get our approval. This might include lodging a construction bond.

Take a look at our Asset adjustment and protection manual and find out more.

How to track your applications

You can follow your applications for Section 73 certificates or approvals to move or extend our pipes at developer application progress.